Welcome to HVAL
The show is still open: View the HVAL 2020 Member End-of-Year Exhibition
Judge for the show, Ira Barkoff, is a landscape painter who has pushed his landscapes to almost pure abstraction.
Born in Brooklyn, NY, Ira has enjoyed a long and celebrated career. He has a BFA from Pratt Institute and has studied at the Art Students League with notables such as Robert Beverly Hale and Robert Brackman. He continues to teach at the Washington Art Association in Washington, CT.
His work can be found in numerous public and private collections, including: the Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury, CT; New Britain Museum of American Art, New Britain, CT; Unilever Headquarters, Greenwich, CT; Alan Greenspan, former Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Washington, DC; Jerry Della Femina, NYC, Kurt & Tomono Masur, NY; and Nelson A. Rockefeller Jr. & Amy Taylor, NJ.
Okay, you ask, what do we have to look forward to in 2021, if we’re still locked-down?
Well, HVAL has been busy putting plans in place and although we still can’t hold our monthly programs, art swaps, or anything where we’d have to congregate indoors, here’s what’s in the works for this coming year in cronological order:
- APRIL/MAY: Spring online Art Show dedicated to the memory of long-time member Rosemary Daly.
- JUNE: Outdoor painting workshop with Ira Barkoff. Details to come.
- JULY: Summer Art Show to be held simultaneously online and, if possible, at the Masonic Temple in Great Barrington.
- AUGUST/SEPTEMBER: Italian Painting Holiday week in Vittorio Veneto, Italy, if possible.
- SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER: Online Fall Art Show
- NOVEMBER/DECEMBER: Online Holiday Art Show, where we may have a cap on artwork prices to induce holiday sales.
- So, we have a lot in the works for 2021, and, hopefully, as conditions and the weather improves, we’ll also be forming mini group get-togethers for outdoor painting. Although the online show sales have not been good, viewership has been. Approximately 10 times more visitors have seen our two online shows than have seen our brick and mortar shows in Great Barrington. We’re still relatively new to this and just with the increased exposure alone, should continue stick with it. With that said, we all need to thank Joe Baker, big time, for without his generosity and the work he has put into it, our online shows wouldn’t be possible.
Volunteers Still Needed!
We still have vacancies to be filled. If interested in volunteering and keeping our League healthy, contact Tina Chandler at email@example.com
Italian Painting Holiday V: August 29–September 4
Hopefully, by August we’ll be ready to fly. Join Harvey Kimmelman and up to 9 others on this magical dream week in Italy. Get the information, itinerary, and registration at www.artinnitaly.com and click on “Art Workshops/Painting Holiday inthe Veneto”. Or email Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Life Drawing at the Library
Wednesdays (except holidays) at the Bushnell-Sage Library, in Sheffield, from 5:00–7:30 p.m. $10 per session. Due to Covid 19, Life Drawing at the Bushnell-Sage Library, Main Street, Sheffield, MA. has been suspended.
HVAL Gillian Seidl Grant to a High School Senior
In addition to her acting and other theater accomplishments, for which she is widely known, and her long-time painting hobby, Gillian was a beloved mother, wife, grandmother and friend.
Tragically, on April 25, 2017, Gillian in her capacity as Art League Program Coordinator, was attempting to cross Route 7 to the Sheffield Bushnell-Sage Library with an armload of refreshments for a scheduled program and social event later that evening. A devastating accident, resulting in her death occurred due to a confluence of conditions involving blocked access to the freshly paved parking lot of the library, necessitating crossing on foot, and regrettable traffic measures.
There is no compensation for the senseless loss of a gentle, kind and vital person but the league hopes, in this small act, to honor Gillian with this gesture.
On Saturday, June 2, Olivia Marchione became the first recipient of the HVAL Gillian Seidl Memorial Scholarship for art. The award was presented to her on behalf of HVAL by the principal of the Mount Everett Regional High School during her graduation at Tanglewood.